Saturday, November 15, 2008

Our Giving Tree!


A few weeks ago, we decided to have a lesson on being Thankful, and giving to others. Our kids have really struggled with always thinking they need more, and never have enough! So, we decided for FHE a few weeks ago, to give a lesson on Thankfulness. The tree started out completely bare, and within in 2 weeks it blossomed to be a beautiful Thankful Tree! We had a lesson on what we learned this last Monday night, and the kids seemed to be really suprised by what they really do have. Everything always comes so easy for our kids, we wanted them to realize how grateful they should be for everything. But, what really made it fun, was everytime ANYONE came to the door, (Mailman, UPS, friends, teachers, Grandma and Grandpa or Aunts and Uncles) they had the oppurtunity to fill out a Thankful Leaf. It might sound really cheesy, but I know it has taught my children what they really have. It's funny, when we first started, they put things like, "I'm thankful for Gum, or going to the movies" , alot of things that had monitary value only. But after a few days we noticed other things, like a warm bed to sleep in, or food that mom makes us, or my brothers and sisters and Mom and Dad. The cutest one of all came from my baby Trenton, he said " I am grateful for my mommy's hugs". Yes, I bawled, I'm so silly!!! It really is amazing though how much it has changed the way my children look at life. They have realized that the things that cost money, don't always matter, it's the important things that matter, like a warm bed, or food to eat, clothes on their back, or scripture study. Hopefully my kids will carry this lesson with them throughout their own lives!! All I can do, is teach them!! The rest just happens!!!!

3 comments:

Brad and Leslie said...

This is such a good idea! I love your giving tree. I didn't get a close enough look at it when I was up last weekend, but what I saw was cute. How come I didn't get to fill out a leaf?!

Unknown said...

You are the cutest mom. :) well you just go to customize blog and then my blog list i think then just type in the address that you have for that persons blog and click add. hopefully that made sense:) your smart you'll figure it out :) and if you dont just keep asking ill help as much as i can :)

Tia said...

that is so cool!! A thankful tree! oh I love your family! you're all so cute and awesome! I'm glad I could find your blog! :D